Monday, January 31, 2011

Dresden Plate Quilt.

I started this quilt in October at the set of classes I took at the College.  I finished the Kakabeka Quilt so then I wanted another challenge.  It took me a while to figure out what I was going to do with the squares and I came up with this quilt. 

On both of these quilts I constructed the backing in a very non-traditional way.  I read on a blog about a new method that uses less fabric and is very useful for small quilts.  This quilt is 48 x 64 so it fits into the category.  The backing fabric is cut on the diagonal and then sewn back together.  It is very useful when the width of the quilt back is 1 1/2 times or less then the width of the fabric.  It was developed by John Flynn .  There is also a neat website that does the calculation for you so you don't have to do the math to figure out how much fabric is needed for the backing.

I was skeptical at first but it works and I used a metre less fabric then I would have if I had cut the backing the traditional way and there is less waste.  I like leftover fabric but I don't like waste.


Those are YKW's fingers again.

I also rounded the corners on this quilt.  I had never done that before but took my cue from the Dresden plate and it gives it real character.


No comments: