Friday, January 28, 2011

Valentine Placemats

I finished the placemats to match the simply hearts tablerunner.  I designed them myself using the same pattern.  I like my placemats big so the side borders are 4 inches instead of the 2 inches that I made the top border.   The finished measurement is 12 x 18.  I made 6 of them, 2 for me and 4 for my daughter.

I think they will make my table look real spiffy for
Valentine's Day.


Thursday, January 27, 2011

Kakabeka Quilt

Every block in this quilt is a 9-patch with a plain square in the center, confetti in the corners, and a chips-n-dip square on each side.  The pieces are turned differently in each block so that the blocks look different but they are all made up of the same 3 components.  I could have made all the blocks look the same but by turning the sections they came out so that they look like different blocks.  It was a challenge for me because I wanted the blocks to look different and yet still have the same 3 components to them.  This is the book I used to make this quilt.

Chips-N-Dip Block

Confetti Block

  I feels good to have finally finished it.  I started in the classes in October 2010.



Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Getting organized

I have been trying to be more organized with all my patterns lately.  I have downloaded a lot of patterns and I print some of them, then when I want to make something I can't find the print out.  They are all saved on my hard drive and a thumb drive but sometimes it is easier to make something from the written page, but WHERE is it.  So I decided to do something about it.  I went to the dollar store and bought 19 packages of protective sleeves.

Then I went to Staples and bought some hanging file folders and a portable file tote, and today I went back and bought more hanging files.

This is the end result of two days of sorting.

But that is not all.  I had two binders and they are full too.

Now maybe I can find a pattern when I am looking for it.  I found so many patterns for placemats that I forgot I had and I could have used them when I was making all those placemats at Christmas time.  So, next time I know where to look for a pattern.


Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bruce Canyon Vest

I am taking a class in February to make the Bruce Canyon Vest.  I have picked out the fabric but can't decide on the final colours.  If anyone has an opinion please let me know.  I realize that colours don't show up too good sometimes on websites but I am going to post them anyway.  The first picture is the original colours I picked out.

The second colour from the bottom is different.  I saw it and liked it, but know I think that it might be too bright to go with the other three blues.

I have also picked out the lining and I chose a dark colour as well.  I am going to have the dark colour at the front and sides and the lighter colours in between.

This is going to be a totally new experience since I haven't made clothes in years.  They never seemed to fit so I gave up trying.  Wish me luck.