Saturday, February 5, 2011

My Sister's Blog

Visit my sister's blog for a great read on Graduation.  She is graduating from University this year and wrote a small essay on what Graduation means to her.  It is very enlightening.


Thursday, February 3, 2011

For the Guild

The annual quilt show is the end of April and the way my life goes it will be here before I know it, so I started making some items to be sold.  They were asking for potholders or mug rugs so since I finished my last 2 quilts I thought I would see what I could come up with.

The pot holder was a little tricky.  I may stick to mug rugs.


I think my mug rugs turned out pretty good and I have a few more ideas and will post them when I have them finished.


These are the in thing these days.
We had a great day a Joyce's today.  Didn't get much quilting done but a lot of friendship and gabbing going on over there.


Monday, January 31, 2011

Dresden Plate Quilt.

I started this quilt in October at the set of classes I took at the College.  I finished the Kakabeka Quilt so then I wanted another challenge.  It took me a while to figure out what I was going to do with the squares and I came up with this quilt. 

On both of these quilts I constructed the backing in a very non-traditional way.  I read on a blog about a new method that uses less fabric and is very useful for small quilts.  This quilt is 48 x 64 so it fits into the category.  The backing fabric is cut on the diagonal and then sewn back together.  It is very useful when the width of the quilt back is 1 1/2 times or less then the width of the fabric.  It was developed by John Flynn .  There is also a neat website that does the calculation for you so you don't have to do the math to figure out how much fabric is needed for the backing.

I was skeptical at first but it works and I used a metre less fabric then I would have if I had cut the backing the traditional way and there is less waste.  I like leftover fabric but I don't like waste.


Those are YKW's fingers again.

I also rounded the corners on this quilt.  I had never done that before but took my cue from the Dresden plate and it gives it real character.