Monday, May 18, 2015

Our bus tour to Ste Anne de Beaupre

We rarely take a bus trip but decided this time that it was the best way to see the countryside and the shrine.  

We were picked up at our hotel and then dropped off at the Chateau Frontenac where we got on another bus to start our tour. We crossed the St. Lawrence river and took a mini tour of the Ille de Orleans.  The driver pointed out points of interest and some local history of the island. We had a small stop at a chocolatier for a cup of coffee and then started off again this time for Montmorency falls.  Lynda and I were lucky to be able to take the cable car up to the top of the falls.  I say that because when we got to the falls there were at least 80 people ahead of us wanting to get on the cable car. I don't think anyone else on our tour was as lucky as us. 

Our next stop was The Copper Art shop.  Albert Gilles was a very talented artist who worked in copper.  Lynda bought a pair of earrings with roosters made from copper. Mr Gilles also made the large copper doors at the Basilica of Ste Anne.  

We had one more stop and that was Chez Marie. Here they made homemade bread and cinnamon buns but the best part was the homemade maple butter that was spread on the delicacies. Our best lunch of the trip. 

Then it was on to Ste Anne de Beaupre. This is a beautiful Basilica that was rebuilt in 1923 because the previous one was burned down. In 1876, St Anne was proclaimed the patroness of the province of Quebec and that year the first basilica was built.  We spent about an hour here, just taking in the huge church. On our way back to the bus there was a small glass building with a sign "blessings" on it. We went in and an older priest was there and he blessed us.  It was a very moving experience. 

Now it was time to return to the city.  Our driver dropped us off back at our starting point. He could have taken us back to our hotel but it was a beautiful day so we decided to stay in old town and walk back to the hotel. After standing in line for ice cream we made our way back to the hotel. Tired and weary after an hours walk we were back. A late dinner and some reading finished our night. 


No comments: