Saturday, September 10, 2011

Train tickets, Goodbye London

Friday started out fine. We took the tube to Westminster and saw the Parlimemt Buildings and looked for #10 Downing Street but it is hidden from the street, so we could only guess where it was. We wanted to see The Banqueting House becauce our membership to the royal palaces included it but it was closed for the day. That was just the beginning it seemed. We toured the Borough Market, that was great fun seeing pig's heads and fresh fish, and vegetables and fruit galore. There was also fresh cheeses and chocolates. We had left our luggage at the hotel so we returned early to make our way to the train station.

I thought we were going to take a hired car to the Gatwick Airport but somehow I misunderstood and we took the tube to the train station and got the Gatwick Express. What a nightmare it turned out to be. We had to change subway trains and dragged our luggage up and down stairs. I thought Paris had a lot of stairs!!! There are gentlemen in London, as I had a few carry my luggage!!

We finally got to the Victoria Train station and Lynda went to pick up our pre-arranged tickets. The nightmare continues. She returned 45 minutes later with no tickets. There was a problem and she was sent from person to person and still didn't have tickets. She finally had to buy 2 new tickets. It took us over 3 hours to finally get on the Express to the airport.

We stayed overnight at the Gatwick Hilton and the payoff was that you had to pay for wi-fi. They told us to go to the airport as they had free wi-fi, so off we went. A 20 minute walk later and their wi-fi didn't work.

Anyway, we had a nice dinner in the sports bar and a free full breakfast. After a good nights sleep we were up at 6am so we could get breakfast and then check in for the flight home. I still have to fly from Toronto to my home and by the time I get home I will have been up for almost 24 hours.

My own bed will feel good tonight.



Anonymous said...

Rough day but a great ending story to your trip. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. Foggy

Anonymous said...

oh I remember the last flight from Toronto when we returned from Finland last summer I was exhausted and fell asleep on the flight. I'm glad you had a great adventure and hopefully by the time you read this you've enjoyed a good nights sleep in your own bed!

cmcleonard said...

Sounds exhausting! I'm glad you had a good trip. I really enjoyed reading your and Lydan's blogs.